Procter & Gamble Section Department Leader at Reading – Design Engineering Background in England, United Kingdom
We are looking for a talented and passionate individual with a Design Engineering background, who is looking to take the next step in their career and join our team of talented Scientists and Engineers at our Gillette & Venus blades and razors innovation centre in Reading.
The Gillette Technical Centre in Reading is home to around 100 scientists and engineers responsible for innovating consumer products for Gillette and Venus brands. The centre is responsible for all the major innovations on these brands for the last 57 years and has a proud history of technical rigor, creativity and engineering excellence. It boasts some of the best rapid prototype facilities in the company and a fully equipped engineering workshop to develop precision prototypes at a rapid rate. We develop our own bespoke instruments, design and run our own experiments and have an entire facility for consumer testing. The centre is a friendly, diverse culture which many describe as family like with a hands-on attitude to innovation.
The role will be as a Section Head, covering several of our innovation projects in the FEI (front end innovation) stage of Research & Development.
Section Heads are responsible for the technical leadership and delivery of projects or related program activities, assuring alignment with business needs and schedule. Section Heads are also responsible for the administrative management (i.e., performance evaluation, career planning, etc.), training, and development of the employees in the section, with emphasis on deep technical mastery applied to innovation.
Responsibilities: • Accomplish results through direct management of assigned staff, and collaboration with cross discipline R&D colleagues and multi-functional partners. Often lead multi-functional global teams. • Train, develop, and improve the performance of employees in their sections through coaching, ongoing feedback, and assignment matching. • Form a vision for those parts of the business or capability organization they are responsible for, and effectively enroll senior management and the section in it. • Determine priorities, define the work, and set expectations in order to deliver against the business and R&D objectives. • Integrate internal and external innovation capabilities to resolve problems and deliver superior results. • Provide technical and business judgments based on mastery and experience that help guide business decisions. • Identify and implement R&D work process improvements. • Partner with Senior Technologists to deliver goals.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in mechanical, design, or electronics discipline
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in product development, with a proven track record of project delivery
- Strong people skills with people management experience essential – you will have a key responsibility for nurturing and developing people who have different skills and backgrounds
- Strong leadership skills – faces reality, is in touch with internal & external trends, makes clear choices, envisions goals and engages others along the way.
- Innovation skills – has an inquisitive and analytical mindset and looks to continuously improve things
- Operates with discipline – executes things with excellence in a timely way.
- Able to balance developing a deep understanding of new technologies whilst shaping and executing a business strategy
- Flexibility/adaptability to changing conditions
- Effectively collaborates with people with diverse skillsets and from diverse backgrounds and leverages this diversity to create excellent results
- · Leadership experience across disciplines would be helpful (design, engineering, prototype & model making, market & consumer research & testing, etc)
Compensation & Benefits
- Starting salary: Competitive – between £70-90k depending on experience, and with opportunity for further increases in line with performance.
Some of our key benefits include:
- Defined Contribution Pension Scheme
- Share Plan Scheme
- Bonus program
- Private medical insurance
- Company car or cash allowance
- Life insurance
Job: Research & Development
Title: Section Department Leader at Reading – Design Engineering Background
Requisition ID: RND00003569